Robert Moses is Counsel to SLG’s New York Office. Rob has extensive experience in the financial services industry that enables him to provide counsel and consulting related to the legal, regulatory, compliance and product due diligence areas of the financial services and investment businesses.
Since January 1, 2015 Rob has been in private practice serving various participants in the financial services arena, including registered investment advisors, broker-dealers, individual financial professionals, advisors to private funds and investors.
Mr. Moses served for eighteen years as General Counsel, Sr. Vice President and member of the Board of Directors of First Allied Securities, Inc., an independent broker-dealer and registered investment advisor serving a primarily retail client base through approximately 1,000 independent contractor financial services professionals. Early on in his tenure with First Allied, Rob was responsible for building and managing the firm’s compliance and supervision departments and spent a great deal of time developing and implementing written policies and procedures. Rob’s in-house role brought him in-depth experience with numerous regulatory and enforcement matters before the SEC, FINRA and state securities, investment advisory and insurance regulators, as well as hundreds of customer and industry claims resolved through the complaint, arbitration and mediation processes. Mr. Moses was also responsible for product due diligence efforts through which investment products (alternative investments, mutual funds and annuities) and financial services professionals and firms (third party money managers and other service providers), were reviewed and considered for approval on the firm’s platform. Having been involved in-depth with mergers and acquisitions within the industry for over 20 years, Rob has developed an informed sense of industry standards and best practices in the regulatory, compliance and supervisory areas of the financial services business.
At First Allied, Rob was responsible for all legal functions for the group of retail financial services companies, where he:
- Oversaw all broker-dealer legal responsibilities, with a focus on SEC, FINRA and state securities laws, rules and regulations and broker-dealer formation, registration, enforcement and regulatory matters.
- Handled registered investment adviser legal matters, which included the Investment Advisers Act, state advisory rules, and RIA formation, registration, enforcement and regulatory matters.
- Built and supervised the legal department.
- Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of commercial contracts.
- Handled customer claims (written and verbal complaints, arbitration claims and litigation) and commercial litigation, including supervising in-house counsel and outside counsel litigators.
- Oversaw state, federal and SRO regulatory matters for all business lines.
- Had responsibility for product due diligence and review (mutual funds, annuities, third party money-managers, asset management programs, alternative investments, and related marketing and investor materials).
- Handled insurance matters, applications, coverage negotiations and claims on various E&O, D&O, EPL, Professional Malpractice, Fidelity Bond and other policies.
- Served as a director and officer for regulated and unregulated entities.
- Prepared and managed corporate actions.
- Developed, implemented and grew the BD and RIA compliance, supervision and audit programs.
- Conducted legal work with respect to mergers, acquisitions, asset purchases and investment banking advisory work.
- Advised on and handled numerous human resources issues.
- New York
General Counsel, Sr. Vice President and member of the Board of Directors of First Allied Securities, Inc
Industry Licenses (inactive)
- Series 7 – General Securities Representative
- Series 24 – General Securities Principal
- Series 63 – Uniform State Securities Agent
- Investment Adviser Representative